Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally got my bands adjusted and now have a good dome seal...

Options
BBQEd
BBQEd Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a year of cockeyed bands and a less than good seal all of the way around the egg I decided to take another stab at getting the dome to seat properly.[p]First I loosened the bands and pushed them as far up on the dome and as far down on the base as I could. At first I used a screwdriver and my palm to try to persuade the bands to move, then I got out the hammer. After a few dinks and chipped paint in the bands I replaced the screwdriver with a small piece of wood and went to work around the perimeter of the egg. I re tightened the bands and closed her up to find an air gap at the back side of the egg. (surprised?) After a little thinking, I loosened up the 4 nuts that connect the top bands to the hinge assembly, exerted a small downward force on the dome. Pulled out 3 sheets of paper closed the lid on them and still no joy. I then loosened the 4 nuts that join the bottom band to the hinge assembly and leaned a little on the top of the hinge assembly. As soon as I pushed on the top of the hinge assembly I could see the hinge assembly and back of the dome go down, I tightened the lower 4 nuts while leaning on the top of the hinge assembly. I pulled out my paper, closed the dome on it and found that I really had to tug on the paper to slide it. I now have a really tight seal all of the way around the egg.[p]Just to expand a bit, when I say I leaned on the hinge assembly I don't mean that I used my full body weight it was more like a moderate downward push to hold the hinge assembly down while i tightened the nuts.[p]My dome is still slightly misaligned laterally, maybe 3 or 4 mm but the seal is outstanding.[p]I hope this helps anyone that suffers with the same issue I had.

Comments