Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Prime Advice???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
An impulse buy today caused a nine lb standing rib roast to be in the frig! Prime rib was one of the very first things I did in the BGE, but that was a long time ago and all I remember is that it was delicous. So, I need some prime advice--what dome temp? Use a drip pan? About how many min/lb to expect? How do I explaim to the wife that I spent the kids' allowance? Polder temp for medium rare? RotoRoast or CharCrust?? Etc, etc. After the pizza success last nite, I really can't screw up this one!

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Jim in Belleville,
    Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper and some Rosemary. Then blast that puppy at some high temperature. Elder Ward has time and temp on this, so hopefully he will be along soon. If not, then search the archives for his high temp Prime Rib Recipe.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Jim[p]Prime rib is easy. It was one of my first meals on the Egg. You can't go wrong if you use a polder and cook to the desired temp. If you go with Elder Ward's method, protect the cable. I have done a roast with salt, pepper and garlic slivers put into the meat, and I have done a prime rib with Roto Roast Char Crust as a seasoning. Enjoy! Check out the link below:

[ul][li]Forum: Elder Ward's High Temp Roast[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Teslamania,
    I love this place.
    Just as I was getting ready to post the exact same link, you beat me to the puch.[p]Great Minds Think Alike,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_24_9917_42_01.jpg
    <p />Jim in Belleville, did a small one for Christmas Eve - check out the link below - from what I have heard and read on this forum - it will be great no matter which way you make it.

[ul][li]Bone-In Prime Rib[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk,[p]I saw that you had done a prime rib earlier as well. Great chefs eat alike.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Jim in Belleville, Prime rib is one of those meats that to overload it with seasonings is to do it a injustice. I forgo my mustards and rubs, and use kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorns.
    I seared all sides of my 5 bone prime rib on my small BGE and then transfered it to my Large for the final cook at 375 degrees. Do it bone side down for the entire cook on a open grill, no drip pans is needed. Insert your polder at the end of the first hour for measuring to 135 degrees for a rare, 145 for a medium rare and 160 for a well done..Prime is prime at medium rare IMHO.
    Boy are they good!! Searing is optional to the cooker!
    C~W[p]