Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

purchasing an egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am debating on purchasing an egg. I live in Iowa and would be really interested at looking at a used medium or large. If anyone has any advice on purchasing new vs. used or if anyone has one and is interested in selling theirs please drop me a line.

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    nug,
    Click on link below. Put in your zip code and a list of authorized dealers in your area will appear. I would call or visit several of them in person. For an investment this big you will be doing them alot of business with the dealer so look for friendliness of the people, knowledge, and of course a decent price. I tried to shop online... looking first at price only big mistake. Bought it from a local authorized dealer wound up paying less. How many people will you be cooking for on regualar basis. I bought a large for just me and the wife and we love it. 6 months later I bought a small egg to compliment my large... long story. If you have any questions you want to ask me specifically do not hesitate.[p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/inquire.htm[/ul]
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    nug,[p]If you wait to buy a used egg you could wait all summer. Very few come up for sale in used state.[p]Don't be afraid to buy a new one because of the price. Whereas you can be guaranteed to have to replace your gasser every 5 years, a BGE will easily last you 20+ years as many on this forum can attest.[p]I suggest you buy from the person/vendor that provides you the best service, regardless of price. I visited/talked to 3-4 dealers before I bought, and I ended up pulling the trigger online at hearthsidedirect.com. They weren't the cheapest online source, but they person I talked to there (sales mgr) was by far the most knowledgable. He (John Ely) was an egghead himself and talked for a good 30 mins on his eggsperiences. Because it was mail order and wouldn't ship to Canada, they were very accomodating to have it sent to the closest carrier in Buffalo so I could pick it up. The dealers I talked to were less than enthusiastic about it, and not very knowledgable.[p]Pay for your service, where ever you may get it.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    table9.jpg
    <p />nug,[p]nug,
    Its just me and my wife and I bought the large and I am so happy I did. I don't think I would be happy with a medium for my prime cooker. Use the zip code link that Pharmeggist posted. Thats the way I did it and found it local by a few dealers. I went by price because it was 100 dollars cheaper. That 100 dollars I used for add on's. [p]Mike