Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can a pizza be done directly on the plate setter or should a pizza stone be placed on top of the setter and pizza done on it? I just got a new XL egg and was getting the additional items and wanted the pizza stone and setter, the dealer told me I didn't need the stone as pizza could be done right on the setter. I read through hundreds of old forum questions and can't seem to find an answer, but it looks to me that a stone is placed on top of setter in some of the pictures.[p]Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    eat,[p] Get the pizza stone. It gives you that much more mass between the fire and the food, plus your Plate setter will get greased up from all the indirect cooks you will be doing.[p] Now if you don't mind pizza that taste like brisket, pork, chicken and whatever else you cooked....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    eat,
    I have seen posts of people cooking direct on top of their plate setters. The most common way is to invert plate setter(feet down) with pizza stone on top plate setter. Some even use a spacer between the setter and pizza stone to avoid the direct heat hot spots as well as raising the stone even higher into the "sweet spot" of the grill. The higher cooking level will also make it easy to get your pizza on and off.
    Have fun,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Thanks, I kind of thought the dealer was a bit off, strange he didn't want to sell the extra item though.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    eat,[p] Did he know the Pizza Stone for the XL exists? I have seen a couple that wanted to try and sell the 14" stone. The Pizza Stone for the XL is 21"[p] He might have had a few people try and return the 14" cause it's so small on the XL.[p]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    eat,
    this is how i do it101_0359.jpg
    but mine is a large! but pizza is tastey on the egg
    101_00232.jpg
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb