Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

screen on air vent

Options
Pat
Pat Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just fired my new egg (I had one before) and noticed there is a spark screen over the air inlet.With the screen we can no longer shut the incoming air completely. If I shut the daisy wheel can I still extinguish the coals and save them for the next cookout like I used to?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Pat,[p] Why did you fire your egg? Did it fail to complete a job?[p]
    Seriously bend the stop tabs so the at 90 degs. to the screen. This should allow you to completely shut the bottom vent.[p]As for the top, put the ceramic hat back on.

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Like Celtic Wolf said.[p]I also found that I needed to put a small amount of silicon sealant where the leading edge of the screen closes.[p]Spacey
  • Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    I had to slide the lower vent cover fairly vigorously the first couple times to get it to slide over the far left end of the screen and shut the lower vent.[p]Don't use the combination daisy wheel / slider to shut down the egg, use the ceramic rain cap. Works better.