Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another RIB question.......??

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just looking over Dr. BBQ's site and reviewing his Rib receipt and I noticed in his cooking process he also does the Foil method but in his cook he actually puts the ribs on foil pans with some apple juice, vs just wrapping the meat all in foil. He then covers them up with regular foil. I think he uses higher temps, but would foil pans work just as good for a 250 temp cook 3/1/1 method as wraping them in foil?[p]One more question... for the 3/1/1 method, or maybe even the 3/1/1.5 method as a better example, I have read several methods from various websites where people will put ribs back into the egg with a indirect setup once the 1 hour FOIL portion of the cook is done. Depending on whether its the 3/1/1 method or the 3/1/1.5 method, they will cook indirect for maybe another half hour to 45 mins indirect followed with the rest of the cook direct. Is there a major difference with putting the ribs back on indirect after foiling vs. just going direct after foiling? does it effect the outcome?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    to foil is essentially to braise the meat... doesn't matter if the foil is tight around the meat or if it's in a pan (with cover), as long as there is moisture and it is made to trap most of the steam (in order to cook the meat).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p] Personally I do the entire cook indirect. I am not going to hassle with taking my hot plate setter out of the egg just to cook them direct for the last few minutes. [p] As stike said foil is foil.
  • Blind Pig
    Blind Pig Posts: 12
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]
    There are a lot of different cooking methods listed on this forum, some which include foiling the ribs, that would cut down the cook time, keep them from burning and make them tender by braising them. I've tried some of them and made some good ribs but still find that cooking at 200' - 220'(max) for 7 to 9 hours indirect (no foil) produces the best tasting ribs... in my opinion.
    As far as direct vs. indirect after foil... Direct produces charing over open flame or carmelizing of the bbq sauce you may add which can be VERY tasty. Indirect will help "tighten" the ribs up after they have become tender - fall-off-the-bone - during foil stage.
    Cook a couple racks and try finishing them both ways to see what you like most. Best way to learn is to try.[p]
    --Tom[p]ribs3.jpg

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    Blind Pig,
    200 grate right?

• Blind Pig
    Blind Pig Posts: 12
    Options
    gadgetman,

Sorry - yes 200' at the grate. I use the bbq guru on long cooks and set it at 215'. This setting keeps the temp. at meat level between 200' and 225'. The dial on dome runs between 220' and 235'-ish. Oh - and I do spritz with an apple juice/ vinegar/ spice mixture after about 4hrs in. I also keep the ribs bone side down the entire cook - for me this always results in great ribs.[p]--Tom