Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tofu

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok...put down the ropes and guns. I like a steak as much as the next person. I was just wondering if anyone had done anything with tofu on the egg outside the obvious stir-fry. I was thinking I'd get a block of extra-firm, drain it, marinate it in BBQ sauce for a bit, then put it on the egg in my fish-grill. Throw on some chips and maybe work it into a szechuan BBQ thing.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hank,
    I made some for my daughter last night. I cut a block of extra firm into 3/4" inch slabs, set them on multiple paper towels, covered with more towels, then set a flat weight on them. When they were pretty dry I marinated them in Wishbone Italian dressing and soy sauce. Then grilled them like a steak. She loves them. -RP

• AZRP,
    Excellent! Thanks. I've cut way back on my red meat lately. I still do pork and seafood a lot. I throw on the occasional steak or burger, just not so often. And I'm trying to come up with a list of vegetarian alternatives for guests when I decide to do a grill party.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    "And I'm trying to come up with a list of vegetarian alternatives for guests when I decide to do a grill party."[p]Check out my post from earlier today on turkey sausage and grilled vegetables. Grilled vegetables on the Egg is a great meatless dish.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Hank,
    grilled eggpland is pretty good
    101_0372.jpg
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hank,
    Never egged tofu before. But if you're ever at Beni Hana's then you have got to try their tofu appetizer. It is, quite simply, the best.

• Tiz
    Tiz Posts: 6
    Options
    Hank,[p]Did it once for a work BBQ competition. Someone said BBQ had to be meat, and I thought, does it really need to be.[p]Had some extra firm that I sliced, added a little of the rub, and smoked. Towards the end basted with some sauce.[p]I put it on with the pork butt and left it for a while. Seemed to get rubbery. The next batch was not on as long and texture was a whole lot better.[p]Basically, attempted the low and slow trying to get more smoke. Next time, I'll try it at a higher temp and see what happens.[p]Tiz