Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fatty brisket

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put my half brisket on about noon, set temp. at 250°, removed about 5:30 at 188°, covered for 30 minuets. Looked great, tasted good but seems to have a lot of fat, is this normal???
Thanks to all who helped me with the setup and cook.
New Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Sounds like you got the point end. It does have a lot of fat in it.
    Curious if your dome thermo was calibrated? Sounds like kind of a fast cook, which might explain some fat not rendering out. Yet the point end always seems to have plenty of fat remaining, even with a longer cook.[p]Was it pull apart tender?[p]Usually I will trim the visible fat from the side opposite the fat cap.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I just check my BGE thermometer and I can easily turn the glass by hand so it could have been off. The half brisket should have been about 3 to 31/2 lbs. It was not pull apart tender, I just looked at what is left and you can see white fat in the center of the meat. Guess I will toss the thermometer and get a new one. I still have the other piece, would it taste if I cooked it with just JJ rub but no marinade???
    Thanks,
    New Bob
    Have to move some more rock to the backyard, biceps getting bigger by the day, shoulder getting weaker by the shovel full. hehehe

• Nature Boy
    Options
    New Bob,
    You can calibrate the thermometer in boiling water. Turn nut until it reads in the 212 area. Can't hurt to check your polder reading in the boiling water also. You can't adjust it, but you can make a mental note if it is off. Sounds like something was off.[p]A brisket tastes just as good with a rub as with a marinade I think. The beefy meaty flavor of that wonderful bovine muscle is what should come through![p]Have fun with the rock!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    O.K., I'm on a beer break, the rock isn't going anywhere without me. Now, about my thermometer, the problem the plastic dial part is so loose i can just turn it with my fingers, so if you just handle it for any reason it can get out of calibration. Suppose I could calibrate and try cement it so it would no longer turn.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Nature Boy
    Options
    New Bob,
    Yeah. Maybe it is a good idea to chuck that plastic one. I have not used one, but they seem to have a lot more troubles that the glass ones. [p]Nope. The rock will defintely not move without you! Almost done? Kind of makes you feel good to do hard work.[p]cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com