Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Options
Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the egg on Saturday - so far smoked chicken, ribs, marinated chicken breasts, and, last night, sun-dried tomato/basil/garlic chicken sausages. I find that I am even cutting back on eating during the day in anticipation! May be a solution to dieting???[p]Question - what is a plate setter? I think I may have seen one at the store where I purchased my egg - but am not sure. What is it used for? I assume that it provides a surface for indirect cooking, but why so specialized?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Janet,
    try the whats new button at the top of the forum page..or I`ll put it here for you[p]Wess

[ul][li]whats new[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Janet,
    See Wess's post below for a picture of it. A plate setter combines an indirect "shield" with ceramic mass. It can be used upside down to create a barrier for indirect cooks, with the main cooking grid sitting on top of the legs, and a drip pan (or just foil) in the surface of the plate setter. It can also be used upright with a pizza stone on top for baking.[p]I have been cookig for 2 years without one, but I just purchased one at the Eggfest. There are many ways to set up indirect cooks, and baking setups with drip pans and/or firebricks. The setter is a handy item, and easy to set up, but it is not toally necessary. Depends on your budget whether or not to add it to your goodies box.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    WessB and NB
    Thanks for the info. In my enthusiasm for the forum, I missed the "What's New" button![p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Janet,
    LOL..I was hear for some time myself before I discovered it also[p]Wess