Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have any of you cooked a rump roast on the egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a beautiful rump roast the size of Camden, NJ, that I'm putting it on the egg tomorrow. Have any of you made this before and, if so, how did you cook it? It's got to be tender and we haven't had much luck with beef so far.[p]Thanks everyone!

Comments

• JimiRayClapton,
    My 2nd cook ever was a rump roast, cooked indirect at 350. I just seasoned it with salt and pepper, pulled it at 140, I think. Let it rest 10-15 minutes and it was perfect medium rare. YUM!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Oh yeah, a great beef cook. I roast indirect (drip pan on grid, beef in v rack in pan) at 325 dome with hickory smoke to 140 internal. During the rest it should hit 143-145 for medium rare at the center. Slice thin across the grain with a razor sharp knife for excellent roast beef. You can go to 150 internal in the egg and then rest for a medium pink, still a good juicy cut of beef. Rub with olive oil then dust with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks seasoning to prep the meat (that's how I like it). Add salt to taste when you eat, usually needs some extra salt. Mustard is good with this on a crusty roll. You can cook this direct but don't recommend, not much fat here and if you get past 160 internal, oh oh...it's dry and tuff.
    Clay

• Clay and Alb, thanks for your help! How much time should I allow for the 5 pounds of meat to reach 140 internal? About three hours? JRC