Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One more question on L vs XL

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the advice earlier (thanks everyone!!!), I'm leaning towards the L. [p]Most of my grilling is steaks, and killer BBQ chickens as either halves or quarters (vinegar and tobasco base, I'll have to share later). Any idea how many 12 ounce strips (1"-1.5" thick) , for example, you can comfortably cook on the L Egg? What would be the best way to cook chicken halves?[p]I guess I could do the actual math, but I thought I'd check with real-world experience.[p]Thanks again; I'm looking forward to being a new Egghead!!!

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Good questions....Last week I did 7 large rib eyes at the same time...no problem...had to rotate them around but they came out nicely.....[p]For cooking chicken...alot of folks like the spatchcock method....very easy and trouble free....As I suggested to a new egger...please check out the nakedwhiz.com or WessB's sites...Those are AWESOME sources of information for you....Use them to your best advantage.....They helped me out a ton in the early going.....[p]I think you'll be fine with a large...and don't be surprised if you don't add a second in the future....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL[p]

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    bluetick1998,
    See link below ;=) for chicken cook![p]Also just to say I love my Large Egg "Oscar" bought sept 06' just added my small last weekend "Oliver". I like to do low and slow cook ie ribs, boston butt. The small was a great addition... almost like having an extra large but Instead I can be T-rexing a steak on the small while doing ribs on the large :=) priceless.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm[/ul]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    bluetick1998,
    You'll really enjoy the large. For the price of the XL you could have a large and a small which is still a little less grid space than an XL, but gives you a lot more options for cooking. The small is a great carry along size for picnics or tailgating. A medium is still within a reasonable take along size range and a large medium will come very close to the total cook area of the XL.