Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received the large big green egg last weekend. smoked ribs last weekend and turned out good. will be attempting to smoke a boston butt this weekend. a couple of questions. what is the desired temp? how much big green egg charcoal do i need to put in there? how long should i smoke it? thanks. i appreciate any advice

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    chickenboy,[p] Indirect Dome 250 degs. Fill the egg up to the top of the fire box. 1 to 2 hours per pound depending on the amount of fat, bone, and connective tissue present.[p] Take it off at 165 if you want to slice it. 195 if you want to pull it..[p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    chickenboy, you need two answers otherwise, this cooking would be just too easy. Dome temperature of 225-240; it will take from 1:30 to 2:15 minutes per pound; take it off when the internal temp is 185 if you want to slice it and 195-205 if you want to pull it.[p]Now put my advice together with Celtic Wolf's and go cook you some butt YOUR way. You will enjoy.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    chickenboy,[p]Here is a third answer[p]Go here http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/ and read both parts of Edler Wards Pulled Pork Recipe.... Then do what he says and it will turn out great. then you can start experimenting from there.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Master Mason, only one aspect of Elder Ward's instructions to be aware of. He advocates keeping the dome at 195 until the meat hits 165 and then kick it up a bit finish off. It is difficult to keep that dome temp at 195 unless you have a bit of experience. If you are going to try that, start early in the morning so you can keep watch on it.