Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cooks - Thanks

Daryl
Daryl Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks so much to all of you that helped convince me the BGE was the right cooker. Thanks also to VFucci, Gretl, and djm5x9 for your suggestions on a turkey recipe. I prepared the brine as you suggested and started the Turkey soaking in the fridge, as it thawed. We bought a large pack of chicken breasts last night so I threw them in the pot of brine with the turkey. After I completed the table, per Bill Wise plans (Thanks Bill, you did a fabulous job on those plans!), I decided to practice starting a lump charcoal fire and regulating temperatures. It would be a shame to waste the fuel, so I threw one of the chicken breasts on for brunch. I cooked at 300, then 400, then 425, then back near 300 after I completely shut off the vents. In spite of my inexperience and wildly fluxuating temperatures, 30 minutes later, the chicken breast was truly the best I ever tasted. It was more tender, and juicy than Chick Fillet (without the oil!). Tonight I cooked all the rest of the breasts at a constant (relatively) 330F after throwing a handful of soaked pecan chunks on the coals. What a difference! I love the smoke flavor! Tomorrow, I will cook turkey as planned, on the Willies sitter. I am having so much fun, and the wife is already planning to let me sleep in the house again. I was headed to the doghouse for spending so much money on a new grill (after all, a new grill can be had for $15 at the grocery store can't it?). I guess if she does not have to cook, and We both get the best grilled food we ever ate, we found a win-win situation![p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Daryl, a great post,and even tho most of us have been there and have had the same experience, it's always worth reading again. We get a kick out of re-living the past with the next new "egger" in the family. "Believe it or not" it gets better and better.
    Cheers to ya..C~W