Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt -- Low & Slow v. Hotter & Faster

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had great results cooking Butts low and slow (18 hour cooks). Can similiar results be obtained in a shorter time frame? I was thinking of starting the cook low and slow (for around 2 hours) for smoke flavoring then picking up the temp for 3 to 6 more hours until 200 degrees internal. Has anyone tried this? How was the Pulled Pork?[p]Thanks, fellow cultists.[p]Bama Fire

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Bama Fire, while have never done it, there were several posts sometime around October of last year - you may want to search the archives. Good luck.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bama Fire:[p]Not if you want real Q . . . There is no short cut to doing the low and slow thing and getting anywhere near the same results. Sorry, just my taste buds talking.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    djm5x9, I am in total agreement with you - the 18 to 20 hours is well worth the wait -I always make a few lbs extrs - then when I want fast PP, I go to the freezer and pull out a bag of the low/slow variety and put in the microwave at 30% power for about 6 minutes. [p]Not as good as the original, but always great - thanks JJ.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    While there is alot to be said for low and slow I have cooked many at an accelerated pace with very good results. By accelerated I mean a dome temp of 300 to 325 this seem's to cut cooking time by about a third.
    Mark

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p] There was a thread last October dealing with this issue. It is a very controversial topic. There are those that will call you a heretic for even thinking of doing something like this. However, though I prefer the long-haul method, I do use a faster process for circumstances where there isn't time to spend 24 hours BBQin'. The method I use, along with other suggestions, is contained in the thread below.[p]MikeO

[ul][li]Faster Pulled Pork Thread from October[/ul]
  • Bama Fire
    Options
    MikeO,
    That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm moving my fiance/soon to be wife into my/our house this weekend and wanted to have some pulled pork as a welcoming meal. I've made it the low and slow way for her, and she's loved it. She doesn't understand why I like spending so much time on the egg, but she loves the meals it produces.[p]Thanks for your help![p]B~F