Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks for advice on standing rib roast time & temp

Options
KevinH
KevinH Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all those who responded to my question about whether to cook a standing rib roast ("prime rib") low and slow at 225-250 or to roast more quickly at 350-375. I owe you a report, but the debate may continue ...[p]The “prime rib” (actually angus choice standing rib roasts from Kroger) turned out great! The beef was moist and tender. There were two roasts that weighed about 3.75 lbs each. I rubbed each one with canola oil, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and minced garlic, and also tied a sprig of fresh rosemary on top of each roast with two pieces of butchers twine.[p]I decided to follow the low and slow crowd and cook at 250 dome temp. However, time was a little short and the egg temperature was a little high when I got it stabilized. So I wound up splitting the difference and roasting at 300 degrees for around 2.5 hours. I put a probe in the center of each roast and cooked until one was 118 degrees and the other was 124 degrees (slightly different sizes or different temps inside the egg). Then the roasts rested in a cooler wrapped in foil and a towel for an hour. They were easy to carve and turned out great![p]I also managed to rescue three of the four bones from the guests to eat later myself. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I wish I had pictures.[p]-Kevin