Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Help

Options
Gene613
Gene613 Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My inlaws are coming over tonight. I bought some nice Folets and need a good marinade or rub will probaly TREX bit not crazy about mustard on steak. Any help will be apperciated.
Gene

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Gene613,
    keep it simple. . .a little rub of olive oil, then either salt and pepper, or a nice seasoning of something like dizzy cowlick or raising the steaks ...

• NCEgger
    Options
    Gene613,[p]I agree with "keep it simple". I usually coat mine with olive oil and then rub it with salt and seasoned pepper. The salt is the coarse kosher salt. The pepper I use is McCormicks Seasoned Pepper Blend. I go heavy with the salt not too heavy with the pepper it can get spicey.[p]I am cooking some NY Strips tonight with this rub.[p]
    [ul][li]Salt Information[/ul]
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Gene613,

Simple is good, but sometimes I like to kick up the flavor and here are my two favorites.[p]PK’s Smoky Cumin BBQ Ribeyes
    This recipe is from Paul Kirk's "Championship BBQ" book[p]Ingredients[p]2 - Nice 1-1/2" thick, preferably prime, ribeye steaks
    2 tbsp - Cumin seeds (toasted in a pan over medium heat until fragrant and then ground) (Cumin powder will work as well)
    1 tbsp - Smoked paprika
    1 tsp - Ground coriander
    2 tsp - Accent seasoning (I used Kosher salt)
    1/2 tsp - freshly cracked black pepper
    1/2 tsp - Louisiana hot sauce
    2 tbsp - Extra virgin olive oil[p]The Preparation[p]Mix all of the dry spices in a non-reactive bowl and add the hot sauce and EVOO and mix into a paste. Rub the paste into the ribeyes, place the ribeyes in a gallon size ziploc bag and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably overnight.[p]Prior to grilling the steaks take them out of the fridge and let them come up to room temp. The purpose behind bringing the steaks to room temp is even cooking. When you throw a cold steak on the grill the outside cooks faster than the inside and you steak will be well done on the outside and rare inside. If you let it warm to room temp your steak will cook evenly and will be the desired doneness throughout the entire thickness as shown in the bottom picture.[p]
    Garlic Butter Sauce for Steaks and anything else you can think of…….
    BGE Forum by RetiredRailroader
    Recipe originally from Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ cookbook.[p]6 cloves garlic, pressed
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced green onions (green and white parts)
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    1 tablespoon minced thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 teaspoon cognac[p]In a small bowl combine the ingredients until well blended. Rub half of the mixture all over the filets and cover with plastic wrap for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature. Serve the filets when done with a dollop of the remaining butter mixture.[p]All I can say YUM!!! Also GREAT on sauteed veggies like green beans, corn, and asparagus. [p]RMS Comment: I made this with a full stick of butter and then used 1 tablespoon of the salt, pepper, and cognac.