Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon w/o Alder Block

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a great salmon filet and want to cook it tommorow night. Have a recipe for it using a alder plank, but don't have a alder plank yet.
Do have alder chips however. Can anyone suggest a way to cook it? Thanks

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Daddy, I have the Chinook Alderwood Salmon plank, and you do have to use care with it. For starters, I would suggest a thin cedar plank or cedar shingle if you wish to use a plank. Otherwise, a basket or direct on the grill will be fine with Alder wood chips.
    There are some great salmon cooks out there that can offer better advice...
    Good luck..
    C~W

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Cooked some great Salmon last night. Marinated for 1 hour in "Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce" then cooked it for 55 mins. at 250 degrees indirect on large egg with Alder chips on coals. Had plate sitter upside down (legs up) on top of ring, drip pan on sitter and grate on top of sitter legs. Have done Salmon many times on Gas Grill but this is first on the Egg (have only had Egg for 2 weeks). My wife siad it was the best Salmon she's ever had. I agree.
    Thanks for the help!
    Big Daddy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Daddy, thats a great way to do it if not using a cedar plank. Thank you for your use of the indirect method. When one has a problem with hot spots or charring of the meats, indirct seems to solve that problem nicely.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W[p]