Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow question

Options
Rob
Rob Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I left my 7.0# boston butt with the egg at 225 at 1:30 this a.m. and went to bed. When I got up to check on it at 6:30 the dome temp was at 175 and the meat temp at 127. Did the temp drop too much for the meat to still be good? Help!!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rob,
    I would say you should be fine...get the dome back up to around 235°-250° and keep on cookin....[p]Wess

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WessB,
    i didn't wanna be first. hahahah chickened out. i'll hide behind you.[p]yeah, my first thought is he's ok. even if you go by the four -between 10-140 rule, he's ok.[p]but if any body starts anything wess, i'm pushing you out in front

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    stike,
    So ya sayin "ya got my back" ..LOL....so to speak..[p]Wess

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Yea...I think you'll be alright....but you might want to get that obnoxious nephew to eat the first sandwhich....wait about an hour and see what happens!!....But seriously....I think you're OK to get your fire up and moving forward......[p]225 dome is too low anyway....Butts run best at 250 - 275 indirect.....They're hard to mess up.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 11
    Options
    WessB,[p]Thanks, I've got the dome temp up to 250 and will keep on cooking. Have a great weekend.[p]Rob

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WessB,
    you can watch yer own back. i'm just hiding

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Rob,[p] I have to ask this. [p] Are you serving this to the huddled masses everywhere, to victims of storms, or to the 10-15 lumps of screaming testosterone who will be jumping up and down in your living room tomorrow. Who coincidently are also starring at your wife butt and demanded more beverages with alcohol in them. Spilling stuff on your carpet. People who will not feel anything till Monday and should they get an upset stomach will think it's a hangover.

If you can answer either YES then you are OK. The meat did not stay at 127 all night. While Stike might be a chicken hiding behind Wess I stand beside him :)[p].o0(Hope Wess didn't eat beans last night)