Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help w/ Roasted Chicken

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to this game, only have had my lagre BGE one week. My wife and daughter left for the weekend to visit her brother and family.
I would like to do a whole chicken for my parents. They're both in the upper 80's and can't handle anything to hot/spicy. I have the upright wire type chicken rack and the plate setter. Any suggestions on doing a 4-5 lb. bird would be appreciated. I think they might like something in order of lemon pepper, etc. Also how about some sweet spuds on the grill also. Any help would be appreciated.
Happy Easter!
Big Daddy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Daddy, Thats a pretty easy order! Since you have the ceramic "plate sitter" I would skip the wire upwrite and do the following..Your lemon pepper is excellent, along with a coating of olive oil.[p]I would set up my grill with the inverted plate sitter legs up. Place a drip pan on the sitter and a second grill on top of the legs. Your ready to cook a bird. Your bird is suspending nicely flat on its back waving legs and wings into the air.[p]Prep the bird with a good wash..and rub dry inside and outside. Place apple or oranges or a combination in the cavity after oiling and seasoning with lemmon pepper (I like Lawrey's lemon pepper) Pull the skin back in place as best you can and pin it with bamboo pins. (If no bamboo, just let it rock and pull the legs together with some string.)
    Oil and season the exterior..place on second grill rack in the center of the grill at 350 to 400F degrees Dome temp.
    It will take about 20 minutes per lb or about 1.5 hours for a 4 lb bird. Use either a polder in the thick part of the breast for 170F degrees meat temp or 180 F in the thigh.
    Pull bird at 170F or slightly below (165 to 168) and immediatly wrap in foil and rest on a platter for 15 to 20 minutes. You should have a nice dark mahogany finished skin and leg bones falling out of the thigh..Breast meat so juicy It runs when sliced.
    Your very best chicken ever will be when you brine it for 12 to 24 hours prior to the cook.
    Cheers and good luck..
    C~w[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]Char-Woody gives excellent advise. If you can't come up with a second grill, cook the bird on the verticle rack set on the grill and the spuds wrapped in foil set around the sides of the bird. Follow his cooking directions. Great stuff.[p]BTW, Welcome to the forum and family.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, Thanks Spin.. I forgot the spuds. Sweet tater's are delish as you described. I'm hungry.. I think I will go warm up some left over ribs and ruin my appetite..heeyaaa.
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I'm not a big sweet 'tater fan, but have come to really appreciate them. I cut the spud almost all of the way through lengthwise and do 2-3 cross cuts. I then add some unsalted butter into the slits, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, and add a coating of brown sugar prior to wrapping tightly in the foil.[p]It is very hard to overcook a potato prepared this way. They just seem to get better ;-).[p]I've got some vacuum packed cooked brisket in the freezer....[p]Cheers to you,
    Spin[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, now thats a variation on those sweeties I have to try.
    I usually peel, halve the tater, place in foil, add a pad of butter spread on top, a big pinch of brown sugar and close the foil..takes about 40 minutes to a hour and then for a touch, some marshmellow creme topping. Warm the marshmellow just a tad in the micro first. Just a variation.
    Cheers back atcha..!
    C~W[p]