Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties in Gumbo?

Options
ChoppedPorkPlate
ChoppedPorkPlate Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To honor the birth of our new baby, some friends made us Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. This is the real deal too. True Louisiana stuff. Fantastic eating. As I am eating it though, the thought occurs to me---What would this taste like if a fattie was used as the sausage. Or if you spatchcocked the chicken? What if you did both? Would you violate the space-time continuum? Would 2 things that taste incredibly good separately work together? Anyone ever tried?

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I haven't tried that, but I recently made chicken and sausage gumbo. I used boneless, skinless thighs and hot Italian sausage. The meat was all cooked in the Egg before going into the pot. [p]I have some pork butt curing so I can make tasso for the first time. If it turns out good, some of it will go into my next gumbo or red beans and rice.
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]By spatchcocking the chicken, I assume you mean using bone-in-chicken in the gumbo. Chef Paul's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook has a Guinea hen gumbo that leaves the bones in. His chicken gumbo says to fry the chicken and then debone it. I have wanted to do the Guinea Hen for years but have never looked hard enough to get the meat. We raised them when I was a kid and I recall them being dark meated and tended to be dry.[p]As far as the fatty, I do not know. It seems the meat might fall apart in the gumbo and I like the sausage in 1/2 to 1 inch slices. Also, I always skim any excess fat off the top of the gumbo at the end before serving.[p]Trust me, one thing about gumbo - there isn't much that hasn't wound up in a gumbo pot.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BOBF,[p]Trust me, one thing about gumbo - there isn't much that hasn't wound up in a gumbo pot. [p]No kidding man, my buddy from down there always sez "if Tarzan had been Cajun, Cheetah would have been gumbo".[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I don't see why fatties would not work in Gumbo. Frankly, I don't see why any meat wouldn't go into Gumbo. I have made so many different varities that I will put anything in there that don't eat me first. Gumbo is really versatile and is not really meant for any one meat. The thing with Gumbo is the roux and not what you put in it. Some swear that you must use okra, some (like me) are not tied to that necessity. Experiment and let us know how it comes out. I usually will smoke whatever I will use in the Gumbo in my Egg first, then go to it on the stove in the Gumbo.[p]Cajun
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Old Indian saying: Dig deep find dog, but snake floats.