Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter size

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a medium egg today. Won"t be delivered until the middle of the week. Two reasons I wanted one: pizza and stir-fry. My gas cooktop is a pitiful performer with a wok, and even on a pizza stone the oven is inadeqate for an authentic neapolitan crust. Now, NakedWhiz says on his website to get the 14" stone, which I will do in spite of the seller's assertion that the 12" is made for the medium. I checked using the floor model Egg, and NakedWhiz seems correct. Now, they wouldn't let me unpack a plate setter to check the size for the medium Egg. Are there more than 2 sizes? Which will fit mine? I don't quite trust the seller for the best info now.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    alb,[p] Actually the 14" is made for the large, but a 16" will work. The 12" is made for the Medium, but a 14" will work.[p] As for the plate setter there is only one size for each size egg. The mini is the only egg without a plate setter.[p]
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    alb,
    I have a Large BGE and I bought the Big Green Egg Stone for the large from the dealer. My Wife and I have made several pizza's over the last 4 months that I have owned the egg... with that said I can definatley recommend the factory stone. I would be careful about using to large a stone in your egg as you can easily fry your gasket so I hear. The Naked whiz sites is one of my favorites, too! I use a platesetter legs down... with pizza stone on top I cook the pizza between 450-500 degrees about ten minutes. Last nights pizza rocked it had a nice crisp crust. When you get the stone DON'T use soap and water to clean it. I just poke it in my oven when I am not using it on the egg to keep it dry and clean. Give the BGE stone a chance it is good and thick and not flimsy like the Pampered chef stone I have.... I haven't had any complaints with it at all. I bet the p*p* j*h*'s pizza doesn't like me making it because they lost a long time customer. If you think of any questons don't hesitate to ping me.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Thanks for the info! After finding more posts about burned gaskets I think I will play it safe and use the medium plate setter with 12" pizza stone. I can always bake more than 1 if my table gets crowded. Man, I love real pizza!!