Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon on alderwood

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am dying to do some salmon on the alder wood that I ordered last winter. I have a few simple questions for the eggsperts out there. Do i soak the filet in a solution, and if so what is the solution and how long do I soak it? Next, what temp and how long for a good size filet?

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    seth howard,[p]Salmon on the Egg is one of my family's favorites, along with ribs, steaks, chops, etc., etc. I've never used a plank with salmon, but below is a link to recipe here on the board by the Millers, that uses one.[p]One thing in the recipe I can attest to is the use of smoke chips. The last two filets I did I used Jack Daniel's wood chips and both filet were great! Also, I really like to put a teryaki glaze on for the last couple of minutes. If you aren't sure just put some on a small section to give it a try.[p]In any event it is hard to go wrong with salmon and the Egg.[p]Enjoy,
    Jethro

• Jethro
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Hey, how bout that link!
    [ul][li]Salmon Recipe[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Hey, how bout that link!
    [ul][li]Salmon Recipe[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Options
    seth howard,[p]And with a little better reading on my part - here is a link of a recipe, that really uses the plank.[p]Babling Jethro,
    [ul][li]Plank Salmon[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jethro, excellent recipe referral and let me add that what MaryB has posted, you can take to the bank. A grade A cook and baker.
    Use some caution with the Chinook plank as its meant for a low temperature cook not directly over hot coals. I have a corner of mine blackened a bit. Raise the plank as high as your can into the dome area with a second grill setup.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Jethro, your doing great...! Many times we overlook our own recipe files, and Mr. Miller, who originated this forum, was also a excellent cook in his own right. Thanks Jethro, and thanks Bill.
    C~W

• Jethro
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks sir, it's like someone once told me, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while".[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Jethro, that fits me to a T...:-) Good one!!

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    seth howard,[p]I tried a fast cure on some frozen silver coho htat was superb.
    Plastic Ziplock with salmon, half cup of scotch, Tangeriene or Orange juice, salt- sugar, dash of lemmon juice|soy and some herbs.
    After an hour or two soak I patted the salmon dry and applied a light coat of molasas. little saly and pepper and smoked for an hour at 225*. Boy was it good
    hope this helps[p] alt