Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Seven plus hours the Egg will teach you patients

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every Butt is different, yes I know. Yesterday my low and slow was really slow... At 2 pm I put on a 2.2 pound Center Cut Chuck Roast and expected it to be done in no more than 4.5 to 5 hours. The temperature was rock steady at 250 degrees. Well 9 pm came and the family was hungy and the internal temp was 176. Both the polder and the instant gave the same internal temperature. I also check the dome temp with 2 BGE thermometers ( I had just check the calibration in boiling water). The hungries won out the roast was sliced not pulled and everybody was happy.[p]The lesson learned once again, Give more time when estimating the time needed to do a low and slow. Every butt and roast is different. Start sooner than you think you should. It can be kept hot in a ice chest wrapped in towels. The food is so great off of the egg it is very hard to wait. The Big Green Egg shall teach one patients many times over if need be.
Fireball

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fireball,
    I use the:[p]3hr/lb if under 5lbs[p]2 hrs if under 7lbs[p]My over 7 lb butts is something less than 2 but I do so few that large I can't narrow it down much better.[p]So I would assume a 2.2 lb butt would take (2.2*3)= 6.6 hrs[p]Hope it came out good. I am looking for a sale to get a couple myself.[p]Tim

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Fireball,
    You're sure right about getting used to waiting.Your long wait was a sorta normal cook,You were also right to check out all the temp. tools.I ran into a real puzzler last week, I've been cooking a lot of whole chickens on my wire sitter,sometimes one bird at times two.Almost always cook to 176 in thigh at 300 normally takes 5 or 10 min. over an hour.Put one on last week got temp rock solid on 300,polder in thigh,at 1 hour temp 145,1 1/2 hour temp at 150, 2 hour temp at 160,finally took up at 21/2 hrs,polder still not at 167.checked all my temp. readers in boiling water,dome thermometer read a little off so calibrated it,figured the chicken must have been raised up north in all that snow and just couldn't get warm:) Next chicken was a southern one, Same setup,same results,2+ hours of cooking,bird still not cooking right.Now us Bama rednecksmay be sorta slow,but I figured out sumpin' weren't right.Took up bird,shut down EGG,as EGG cooled down thermometer in dome went up to 500.I removed thermometer,plastic cover had come loose long ago,the pointer had good spring tension on it but as I moved my hand the reading would move,WEIRD,Anyhow I got another one and hope to get one of the new ones soon.I said all that to say"sometimes the hot water adjusting dont cure a sick mometer"Sorry for the long post,but thangs' wuz confuzed fer a spell:-D Bob