Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted chicken at 450 degrees

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished two fryers at 4 1/2 lbs doing indirect cook with vertical roasting racks,rubbed with Raging River rub.First time I ever cooked a chicken at this high of a temp,but the skin was crisp and the meat was very moist.The thermo rules when you want to make sure the temp is right.Pull at 160 breast temp.

Comments

• darnoc, great idea. I'm always trying to attain crispy skin. Haven't yet. My next effort was going to be spatchcock direct at 350 but sounds like you got the combination. Maybe I'll try that. was that 450° dome?[p]Thanx[p]ern

• Darnoc
    Options
    ern,
    Yes it was.Some one a few weeks prior asked a grocer at what temp they cooked their roasted chickens and it was 425/450.I talked to my local Super Fresh store and they said 325. It was on sale for .59c a pound,how could I go wrong?Dog food? No no it turned out a lot better than I expected.

• darnoc,
    did you turn the chicken? i think i want to try this.

• Darnoc
    Options
    luis,
    No,I did it on a vertical(beer can type without the beer can).

• darnoc,
    Do you place the vertical directly on the coals? We have a medium egg, had the grate on it, the drip pan and vertical wouldn't fit. We knew at this - what are we missing.
    ln

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    ln,[p]I set the vertical roaster / drip pan combo on top of some spare Egg feet that I have placed on the legs-up platesetter. No grid. This gives the clearance you are looking for.[p]If you don't have spare Egg Feet (or equivalent ceramic spacers), you can fashion a "snake" from aluminium foil, and coil it to create a stable base.[p]hth[p]BigT