Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Cuts and General 700 Deg. Cook Question

Options
Dooms-Dave
Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a few questions (somewhat) related to doing steaks on the egg. I have done a number using the 700 Degree 3/3/4 or thereabouts with some success. But . . [p]1. Is it normal when the temp gets to 700+ degrees to have flames wrapping around the steaks when you open the egg to flip? Should there be flames up pretty high or just hot coals? Not sure if I am doing something wrong and just catching my arm on fire for nothing.[p]2. We are getting a cow butchered (sorry PETA) and need to specify the thickness of the cuts. The last time they did some, the steaks were 3/4" thick. I was thinking more like 1 1/4". What are your opinions and experiences?[p]3. Finally, when specifying the butchering, I was going to skip the T-bones and go for the Delmonico/Filet instead (You get either T-bones or the other two as I understand). Does this mean that you get ribs as well as (no-bone) steaks?[p]Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Dooms Dave,[p]I can help with #1 and #2, but #3, I don't know.[p]1. Yes, its normal to have flames. I have coated steaks with mustard and I think I get more flames that way (at least thats my expereience)![p]2. I like em thick! Go with your instinct. I would do them 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick. Filets, I would do them up to 1 1/2 inch. Try cutting a pocket in the filet, adding chunks of blue cheese then grill/sear them! Good stuff![p]Smokey
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Dooms Dave,[p]Smokey's got you covered on #1 & 2. A pair of 16" SS tongs are quite useful for keeping the hands from getting seared.[p]For number 3, it all depends on how mamy steaks you want and what size. The delmonico and filet are some great eats, just smaller than a T-bone. The delmonico can be with or without the bone (I like the bone in).[p]Spin