Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kenny G's chili modification

Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to try Kenny G's chili recipe this weekend and I've got a question. We're kind of a bunch of sissies around here when it comes to hot and spicey stuff, we don't mind a little spice and heat but not a bunch. So I was going to leave out the tobasco and peppers but was wondering about the chili powder should I cut that back or do you think by leaving out the other 2 things that will be enough to get it down in the sissy range. Let me know if anyone else has any modifications they've done to this recipe. Thanks.[p]P.S. I don't know who sent thier winter weather here to southern Indiana but you can have it back, I liked that other winter weather we were having.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mayberry Smoker,
    Try it like it`s posted....if and only if..then..you decide it`s to spicy then change it...I personally like things SPICY...KeenyG`s chili comes across very flavorful and enjoyable..not overly spicey at all...dont try to change someting you have never tried[p]Wess

• Mayberry Smoker,
    Chili powder isn't very hot. And you can't make chili without chile's. I think chili made with just chili powder isn't very hot at all. My wife (yes, the wife.....) likes chili made just with chili powder and she doesn't like hot stuff. (And by "with just chili powder" I mean no cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Of course, we put other stuff into it besides chili powder....)[p]What the heck, try a little experiment. Go to the grocery and get a can of tomato sauce and a bottle of chili powder. Start dumping the chili powder into the sauce until it LOOKS like chili. Then taste it and see how hot it is. It may not taste very good without all the other stuff you like to put into chili, but you are just checking the heat. For a few bucks, you can check it out.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mayberry Smoker, I keep planning to try that recipe and I keep forgeting! OTOH now I can't even find it. Care to share? Kenny G would be proud! RIP big guy!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Is it the one in the 2006 Eggtoberfest Wise One Cookbook?[p]TNW

[ul][li]Wise One's E'fest 2006 Cookbook[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • WessB,
    The main reason I asked about those 2 ingredients is because we don't have them here at home and I didn't want to spend the money on something we might not use again. Thanks for the reply.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]I modify recipes all the time without trying them by the book first. That's half the fun of it. Then you can call it Mayberry's chili.[p]My preference would be to least back down those ingredients, if not eliminate, as there is more risk in having too spicy a dish than not spicy enough.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]If you take the seeds and internal veins out of the peppers, you have removed 90% of the heat but still saved most of the flavor of the peppers. Kenny's chili is relatively mild to begin with (we don't like hot either). If you feel strongly about it, cut the tobasco in half but keep all the chili powder as it has no heat, just flavor. It is a good recipe for wimps as it is not very hot but is nicely flavored.[p]Spin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Mayberry Smoker,
    adding different types of heat rounds out the flavors, i would even add more types of peppers, but i like chili hot. cut back a little but use them all, and maybe make a smaller pot while making the reduced version to compare, you can always add a little more heat later if you like the recipe one, or reduce the heat by adding more ingediants afterwards. i make my chili hot, then add more heat so that i wont be eating it all in one sitting.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it