Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Beef Shortribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I screwed up pork ribs for years until I got clued in by the forum. I'm addicted to beef short ribs now, and just want to check with the experts. Does my time/temp sound right? I've been getting ribs with about a 4" long bone, and a big wad o'meat hangin'off one side of the rib.[p]I do 200 for about 4 hours, and then kick it up to 350 for the last 30 min or so. [p]More specfically.... rub ribs with BBQ rub (I almost always made my own, but have been experimrnting with Worldspice Bar-H Beef Rub).[p]200 for about 3 hours, then paint with BBQ sauce, and dust with a little more beef rub (using teh sauce like glue, to glue more spice on)... and do this a couple of more times in the next hour. [p]But with the last painting, dust a bit with rough ground star anise.[p]THX UR HELP! [p]Mike Flaherty

Comments

• Mike Flaherty,[p]Not on the Shortrib subject, but wondered about the ballpark amount of chili powder you used in your "Beale" sauce recipe. I have some very hot powder and some mild. Any info will be appreciated. [p]Pete

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mike Flaherty,[p]Your technique sounds like it will produce a well flavored rib. I bet they are still a bit tough though.[p]Beef ribs are some tough meat, with lots of tough fat, stuck to a bone. They benefit greatly from a long (6-7 hours), low temp (200-225°F) cook. The longer cook helps break down the collagen (toughness) in the meat and also renders some of the fat into great flavor.[p]Beef ribs can benefit from a soak in a tenderizing marinade and can take a strong tenderizer. I like to soak them in pineapple juice (a very strong tenderizer) for 6-8 hours and then cook. A hint of pineapple flavor remains, but we like it. Other marinades can be used with the time adjusted for the strength.[p]Just some ideas.
    Spin

• Spin,[p]Excellent.Just the kind of help I ws looking for. I WILL COMPLY! THANKS![p]Mike