Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wild cherry wood?

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used wild cherry wood? If so, what meats do you use it on? Do you like it? Every year I cut down wild cherry in my yard, too many caterpillars, and have been putting it in the brush pile. Now I'm thinking I should have been saving all that wood. Any thoughts would be appreciated.[p]Chuck

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chuck,
    if it is the wild Black Cherry like I have around here in Virginia, it is excellent for smoking. I have been using it on everything (pork, beef, salmon) for a year now. Wonderful smelling wood. Mild and a little sweet. Ours get the tent caterpillars also. Real pretty tree in th early summer...right about when the caterpillars are chowing down on the gorgeos green leaves.[p]Use it, and enjoy. 5 or 6 months after cutting up, and it is prime to go.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I use a LOT of chery wood, have a bunch of hardwood cherry that I used for woodworking that is knotted up and warped. Not sure if its black cherry or what but the wood adds a real nice sweet smell and flavor. I'd say go for it, fruit woods are great to smoke with for just about anything.[p]Troy
  • Cherry is my favorite wood for chicken.