Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding Liquid Smoke to Brine

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sister is eggless and was needing help with her Christmas ham. She already purchased a ham that has not been cured. So she is going to brine it using the ham brine recipe on the "submitted recipe" page. However, she does not have a smoker. So she asked if liquid smoke would be something she should add to the brine for flavor. Has anyone out there used liquid smoke in their brine?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ShortRib,[p] Personally I would not.. It just ain't right!![p] Let her use your Egg.. Geesh!!![p]
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Can't...she is in Germany.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    ShortRib,[p] I still wouldn't use the liquid smoke. It can quickly overwhelm the food.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    ShortRib,
    According to The US Department of Agriculture - Food Safety & Inspection Service you can add liquid smoke.[p]"Wet Curing or Brine Cure[p]Brine curing is the most popular way of producing hams. It is a wet cure whereby fresh meat is injected with a curing solution before cooking. Brining ingredients can be salt, sugar, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, sodium erythorbate, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, water and flavorings. Smoke flavoring (liquid smoke) may also be injected with brine solution. Cooking may occur during this process."[p]I would prefer real smoke flavor but when you can't have it, liquid smoke might be better than no smoke.[p]Spring "Smoke'em If You've Got'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

[ul][li]USDA - FSIS[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ShortRib,
    if she has no alternative, then why not?
    in a world of chemical simulated flavors, at least the brand "Liquid Smoke" is just that. hardwood smoke which is washed off the sides of the glass on which it collects, and bottled.[p]it may be cheating, but it really is smoke.[p]i was sure the stuff was probably chemical soup, but saw a show on it, and damned if it ain't just smoke in water.[p]might be more accurate to brush some on, rather than in, but i'd test it. a little could be a lot.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nate,
    not enough would be faaaaaaar better than too much.[p]

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    stike,[p] It's far easier to add too much smoke if the smoke comes from a bottle.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    agreed. big smoke snob here, myself.[p]true smoking just doesn't sound like it's an option for them

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante