Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size rib roast for 9 people?

Options
Woz
Woz Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to bite the bullet and invest in a good prime rib roast for Christmas this year. Do you think a 4-bone first cut (loin end) roast will be enough to feed 9 people (a mix of big and not-so-big eaters)? I'll be cooking it this weekend on the large BGE...

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Woz,
    i usually figure that one bone feeds two people (ok stump, weigh in here as appropriate). ..so for 9 people, go with at least a 5 bone prime rib. .. 4 bones may work depending on their appetites, but hell, why scimp. ...the leftover are fantastice cut up small and mixed in with hash browned taters and onions. .. yummy!! . .

• Woz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    The leftover idea sounds good- but, now that you mentioned it, my 22-year old son and leftover prime rib probably couldn't co-exist in the same universe (leftovers? WHAT leftovers?). Sounds like 5 ribs is the way to go!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Woz,
    sounds like a good plan. .. also, 5 bone roast should fit on the large egg with no problems. .. however, if you have more than two folks that like end slices, cut it into a 3 bone and a 2 bone roast, put em in the egg with the fat ends facing each other, and that way you can have 4 end slices (my personal favorite). ..

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I like end slices as long as there is a whole bone or two attached to it! :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Woz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Never thought of that (splitting the roast in 2)...sounds like that may be the way to go. Thanks again, Max.

• bugz on da barbe
    Options
    go for the 5 bone !! nothing worse than going to someones house and going home still hungry. besides,,,,, i always buy "to big" of a rack just because i use the leftovers. i throw them on the egg at as hot of temp. that i can get it to. rib eye steaks BOOOOOOOOOOOYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ken
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] What about people like me that will eat two bones all by myself?[p] .o0(methinks I am going to regret saying that)[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    100_1174.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,
    2 end slices is my favorite,could also be called a 2 bone steak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Woz, you might as well get the whole 7 bone rib, do the whoole thing or split in half, one really rare and the oher med rare.
    Nothing wrong with having leftovers

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Woz,
    not sure what size egg you have but i helped a friend cook a 9 lb 5bone(might have been a 6 bone) in a medium egg and fit with no problem. seared at 700 for a total of 13 min and 340 for a bit less than 3 hours. perfect