Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safety -- where do you put your BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would be interested to hear any recommendations about where to put a BGE to minimize fire hazards. Any problems using a BGE on a redwood deck, or a porch with a roof?[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandra, As with any wood or charcoal burning appliance, your doing the right thing. Look ahead and plan. Yes, you should have a adequate area ahead and under the BGE for fire retardation and prevention.
    If one has the BGE on a table, then you can build build a spark guard for the front of the ash pit and prevent the sparks from going any further.
    This is mainly for high temp cooks where the ash pit door is wide open. For low and slow its rare a spark is generated.
    If you leave a half inch of ash on the bottom of the ash pit in the firechamber, it will in itself absorb a great many sparks that spin out downward from the grate area and nullify the bounce.
    There are many BGE's on wood decks and I am sure they will respond to you in the next day or so. Mine are either in a wood table or a cement patio. Soon to all be in a wooden accomodation this spring.
    Good luck and I hope you get some good answers..
    Cheers.
    Char-Woody

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sandra, I forgot the overhead question. I have held my hand 2 to 3 feet over the top dome exhaust with little discomfort. So I think if you have a 8 foot or higher ceiling, there is little risk. If you feel or if the F.D. feels there might be, then you can make or use a over the dome baffle like a round chimney vent cap cover from a hardware store and it will dissipate the heat rapidly. It won't affect your high end temperatures at all..Been there and done that.
    BTW...a hearty welcome to the forum..I forgot that!!
    Char-Woody[p]

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Sandra,
    My first suggestion is to put your egg on the 3 feet that came with it. This will allow air to circulate under it's bottom. Under the feet atop the deck I would place a fireproof flexible concrete mat. This will go a long way in preventing fire hazards from stray sparks. I got my mat from Lowes, stock number is 117446. This matt is made by "Diversitech"
    Welcome to the BGE family. We are all here to answer any questions that you may have. Where are you located?
    Fireball

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Sandra,It would be fine to put the egg on the redwood deck but be sure you have a "mat" of some sort to avoid burning of the wood.....
    Red hot embers WILL and DO pop out of the intake vent,more so when your doing a hight temp cook..[p] I know that very well as the portion of the deck where my egg is situated has felt the wrath.....a couple of embers found themselves jammed between two boards and ruined both.....get a little fireproof mat or if you don`t like the sight of that then use a cookie tray or the likes while you are cookin...
    hope this helps....[p]Mop!

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Sandra,[p]Hi with the thought that a picture is worth a lot of words, scroll through the visitor’s profile section of the forum. Many members including myself have pictures there that show their Egg set up. Most have a camera emblem next to their name, for some reason mine doesn't show the emblem but the picture is there nonetheless.[p]Hope you enjoy your Egg, I love mine.[p]Jethro

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Sandra,[p] I'll jump in and agree with the folks who've already responded. I have my BGE in a wood table and even with extra ash in the bottom, sparks will sometime escape during high-temp cooks. If you look at the pictures in my visitor profile, you'll see a couple black spots near the bottom vent. Three guesses as to what caused them. Time to get one of those mats and line the bottom table shelf with it.[p]Mike O
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Nice pics, I really like the brick patio.[p]Jethro
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    MikeO, they do work well.
    The only problem is to remember that they get dang hot..I learned that too. :-)
    These are relatively cheap, and I cut 3 or 4 slots abut 3/4 inch deep and about 1/2 inch wide on the bottom edge that fits over the dome exhaust (or larger to fit over the entire metal caps) and bent them inward, slip a nail between the bend and innner sidewall, and rebend the slotted cut back outward making a inside dimple. You can adjust this to fit what-ever to keep it from wiggle wobbling..:-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MikeO, excellent prime examples..
    I agree with one of the other posters. You either did, or had a super good brick layer for the curves and cuts designs. Congrats..
    C~W[p]BTW..if you can visualize a small narrow pie pan setting just under the edge of the bottom vent, and a upright Basketball back board standing in front of the ash vent, then you have a idea of a spark deflector. Fill the pan with sand. over the L shaped tin deflector inside the pan.
    Keep the deflector about 3 inches or so..from the vent opening. Serves as a wind deflector also for a more stable temp in windy weather.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Fingers
    Options
    MikeO, Ooops;
    I have a roof over mine and I have seen pictures of GFW's on his porch and I have not had any smoke stains. However, the sides are open so that there is plenty of air movment.
    Both of my eggs are mounted in tables with a patio stone under them.
    Fingers