Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken, differing opinion to spatchcock...

Options
SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I am still a newbie to the Egg at about two years, but I have to say that I think I like cooking whole chickens better without spatchcocking. I have tried both ways at least half a dozen times, and I am leaning toward leaving them whole. Don't get me wrong, spatchcock is great and quite the novelty, but it's just missing...something. I'm a brine freak, so most everything gets a dunk in the sugar and salt before the Egg. I cook both at 350F, but spatchcock gets cooked direct, whole indirect. Both take about an hour and a half to complete. At the end of the cooks, I have usually decided that I like the un-cut version better. Is it just me? Anyhow, here's today's bird. Quite tasty. What y'all got on the ceramic this fine afternoon???[p]DSC00450.jpg
I'm liking "Shaking the Tree" and the Winter Lager
DSC00457.jpg
Indirect, no water in the pan.[p]DSC00459.jpg
Done and done. Can you see the juice mark in the pan where the Polder punctured the breast?[p]Have a great evening.[p]Scott

Comments