Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RE: RIBS

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking the ribs in aluminum foil during the 3-2-1.5 method....can you wrap more than one slab in the foil, or do they have to be in separate foil packages???
Bob

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    RLA, My eggsperience has been wrap as many as you want. Don't have any holes in the foil. The point is to boil the fat out and make them more tender. I usually use a aluminum pan and just wrap foil around the top of it when doing spares.[p]CWM

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    RLA,
    I agree with CWM, however most of the time I cook the rib slabs in a rib rack,then I spray on a little apple juice and wrap each slab separately so they will stand up in the rack.They're great anywhich way! Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset27.jpg
    <p />RLA,[p]I wouldn't cook them at 3-2-1.5 as that is 6.5 hrs. That is a bit more than is needed. I like to use 3-1-1.5 or 3-1.5-1 depending how much firmness you want to them. The longer after the foil (the center number) they are cooking direct, the more firm the meat becomes. The foil part of the cook steams them and they get pretty moist and the direct cook at the end drys them and firms the meat some. I also use it to burn on the sauce.[p]Here they are after 1 hr in foil.[p]Tim M
    piggy1.gif

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    With big fat spares, the 3-2-1 was perfect...as far as doneness. That was at 250. At least that was my experience with these particular spare ribs (about 4 pounds a slab).[p]Cheers!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I hadn't thought about spares because I have not tried them in foil - maybe this summer. An extra hr would probably not hurt, I just wasn't sure it was needed. The one nice part of the foil cook is that the time in foil can be 1 hr or 2 hrs with little difference (IMHO) and is good for parties when your guest show up late - just leave them in foil until the guest show, then go direct and eat in 1 hr or less.[p]What a mess that snow made the other day! We had 200+ cars wrecked on I-95 in this county and the one to the north after 2" of snow - we got 3" total! It took my wife 6hrs to get here from Richmond which is only 30 mi south. Sure glad I wasn't with her stuck in the car for 6hr![p]
    Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    RLA,[p]Sorry, forgot part of your question. Yes, you can add more than one slab but its not easy. I cut a slab in half and put both in foil as the other picture shows. You cloud place them in an aluminum pan and cover it with foil too.[p]Enjoy[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Amazing what happens when it snows around here. This area has folks from Alaska and Tibet, as well as folks from Florida. I saw a story about that big pileup on 95. I heard people were getting out of their cars and running into the woods while they watched everybody piling up. We got 1.5 inches, and schools were closed the following day even though everything had melted by 10:30 am.
    Good Sunday to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ