Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FISH PLEASE

Lady in the Shoe
Lady in the Shoe Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I HAVE HAD THIS GREAT CRAVING FOR FISH. SO I NEED ONE OF THOSE THANK YOU GOD RECIPES FOR CATFISH OR TILAPIA

Comments

• Lady in the Shoe,
    I am not sure if this is sacriliage or not but here goes..........I fry(but I am sure you can EGG it somehow) the fish. Prior to that, I mix mayonaise, cilantro, onion, and diced jalepeno and refrigerate. I then take flour tortillas and add fish and mixture and viola....fish tacos. Simple, quick, and delicioso!

• Peppered Catfish
    Ingredients:[p]Three-Pepper Catfish Rub[p]3 tablespoons coarse-ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 ½ tablespoons coarse-ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper[p]Six 8-ounce catfish fillets[p]Catfish Mop (optional)[p]2 cups seafood or chicken stock
    ½ cup oil, preferably canola or corn oil
    Juice of 3 limes
    1 to 1 tablespoons remaining Three-Pepper Catfish Rub[p]Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce (optional)[p]1 cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup prepared yellow mustard
    ½ medium onion, minced
    1/3 cup water
    ¼ cut tomato puree
    1 tablespoon paprika
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper[p]Makes about 2 cups[p](Recipe for making the Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce:
    Mix the ingredients in a saucepan and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the onions are tender and the mixture thickens, 20 to 25 minutes. Use the sauce warm or chilled. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks. Variation: Add a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise or brown sugar for a different level of tang.)[p]Recipe for Peppered Catfish:
    At least 2 ½ hours before you plan to barbecue, or preferably the night before, mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover the catfish lightly and evenly with the rub, reserving at least 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture if you plan to baste the fish. Place the fillets in a plastic bag and refrigerate them for 2 hours or overnight.[p]Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 180 degrees F to 200 degrees F.[p]Remove the fillets from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.[p]If you are going to use the mop, mix the ingredients together in a small saucepan and warm over low heat.[p]Place the catfish in the smoker on a small grill rack as far from the fire as possible. Cook the fish for approximately 1 ½ hours, dabbing the catfish with mop every 20 minutes in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker.[p]When cooked, the catfish will be opaque and firm, yet flaky. Serve warm. If desired, accompany the catfish with Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce.

[p]My notes:
    Cook indirect on a raised grid at 200*F dome.
    Mop is unnecessary, but my son likes it.

• Tuna steaks
    from Weber’s recipe list.[p]Marinade:
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    6 tablespoons Asian-style sesame oil
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 & 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 crushed Thai, Hunan, or other tiny hot red chile[p]4 tuna steaks, each about 1 inch thick[p]1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt. (Do not use regular table salt!)[p]**********[p]1. Heat up a cast iron skillet. HOT! I start a full charcoal chimney. While the coals are lighting, make the marinade. When the entire chimney is flaming I dump it in a pile in my Weber Kettle and settle the skillet down into the coals. [p]2. While the skillet is heating up, Place tuna steaks in non-reactive dish and pour the marinade over the tuna. (Do not use an aluminum pan) Allow steaks to sit in the marinade at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.[p]3. Prepare smoker, stabilize temp at about 200 degrees.[p]4. Sprinkle cast iron skillet with kosher salt. Drain the steaks and sear about 1 minute on both sides.[p]5. Transfer the steaks to the smoker and cook to desired doneness, 20 to 25 minutes for medium-rare. Avoid over cooking.[p]
    **********[p]Sauce:
    1 cup hoisin sauce
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    1 teaspoon ground anise
    2 garlic cloves garlic, minced[p]1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and warm them over low heat for about 10 minutes.[p]2. Serve the sauce hot or at room temperature. It keeps, refrigerated, for several weeks.[p]Serving suggestion:
    You can thin the sauce with a little water and use it in a stir-fry with broccoli, scallions, red bell peppers, and sliced water chestnuts.[p]

[p]My notes:
    The tuna is great as is, it doesn’t need the sauce.
    The stir-fry does make a very good side.
  • metalhead,
    got try it tonite. thanks

• Michael B,
    pepper and catfish can't go wrong. I am going to try both yours and metalheads tonite