Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot&Spicy jerky...

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1263961&a=9351385&p=41873152
<p />Here is a pic of the jerky (from Randy`s site) I have on the go while painting the bedroom.....
After 3 hours I had to have a taste......mmmmmmmmmm
Very nice...[p]I have used a mixed bag of methods here..
I used one fire starter directly under 2 firebricks to deflect the direct heat from the meat..
The fire is so small that is will not come out to the edges of where the firebricks are so in a way it`s a direct/indirect method..
"Semi Direct"...lol
Anyway, I love this jerky stuff......
Mop!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Mop, thats a great setup...Is that mesh solid or wiggly? I can see some super steak on just the mesh! E.mail me if you want and compare notes.
    C~W[p]

• Mop
    Char-Woody, thanks. it`s still a prototype jerky rack in it`s infancy stages ....[p]The screen is tightly wound 1/8" thick wire........you could stand on it....[p]Mop![p]
  • Char-Woody
    Mop, what type of metal?...and where did you find it?
    If its stainless steel..then I am definitely intereseted.
    C~W

• Mop
    View?u=1263961&a=9351385&p=37320990
    <p />Char-Woody, Unfortunatly it`s mild steel, not stainless..
    here is a close up pic of the thickness of it...
    I`m going to cut a slit in the centre of it so I can grab it with my ash tool when I need to remove it...that is also what I use to remove the grate when its hot....
    anyways, here is the pic..[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Mop, it appears to have been cut with a plasma cutter. Good job...! Nice pic also..Thanks for the close up. My thoughts were that it might make a excelletn lower grate, but the mesh might be too tight and ash will still plug the smaller holes..Its difficult to beat diamond mesh for cheap firechamber grate material.
    Thanks again..
    C~W[p]

• Mop
    Char-Woody,oh you mean in place of the ceramic trivet?
    Oh, the weave is too tight for sure....it would plug way to fast....
    It makes a heck of a cooking grate cause it doesnt chip or scratch like the powder coated grates...my bge grate is scratched all to dickens from bricks and such....
    I did eight hamburgers on it yesterday and whats nice about grilling on it is that none of the bits and pieces of food fall through and land on the coals to flare up.
    Especially nice for chicken wings and parts...you can just stir them instead of actually flipping them....[p]Yes your right, it was cut with a plasma cutter...good eye..[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Mop, your right about the bricks and grills.. thats why I try to warn em, and use a cheeeeeepieee grill for brickin!
    You learn fast!!
    C~W[p]