Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Chubby

Options
VermontEgg
VermontEgg Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason - the old forum won't let me post anything.

Here is what I was trying to post:

Chubby and others -

thanks for the encouragement.

I think I need to add more charcoal. Fill it up a lot more and try to mix it up with different sizes.

I had these Rutland fire starters I bought at a local hardware store. See below for a link.

I put two at the bottom of the firebox - on the grate. Then I piled up the charcoal but was not sure if I should fill it up really well or have some space in between for air ot move around. In hindsight I think I should have added a lot more.

Fired up the rutland fire starter and left the top open and the bottom gate fully open as well. Closed the dome and watch the temp reach 400 real quick but it stayed there afterwards.

After 15 minutes, I figured I had done something wrong to try the sear method, so I put the meat on and cooked from there. I put the daisy wheel on top and had the holes open and closed the bottom gate to 1/2 way and it stayed at 400 with no problems.

http://www.rutland.com/sfp6/link6.htm#50C