Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking whole chickens

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg, plate setter, and drip pan but no vertical roaster. What are my best options to cook 2 chickens? Beer can chicken?

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Jeff, I put two chickens on my large tonight using the recipe below. Simple, simple, simple. Oh yeh... and tastes great![p]BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!

[ul][li]Spatchcocked Chicken [/ul]
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Jeff,
    It's hard to beat spatchcocked (butterflied) chicken. The Whiz's site has it outlined. I'm sure you can fit two on a large.

• Jeff,if you want to keep it simple, season birds(4lb ers) with favorite spices. Lay on grill, breast side up, over drip pan on plate setter. 400 dome, 75 to 90 mins or 165 in thick part of breast

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Jeff,Like Birdy, I take two whole chickens, about four pounds. Wash ,pat dry, smear mayo or olive oil over outside, and then season with your choice. Sprinkle some inside. Cook at 275-300 about hour and half till 165-170 in thigh. I then double wrap in foil and put in small cooler for at least 30 min. I have carried them for three hour road trip and still plenty hot. I cooked this method when I was doing backyard contest and won several times. Simple, easy, and produces great moist bird. Inverted platesetter and grill is set up. Don't use a drip pan.[p]Good Eggin'to you,
    Poppasam

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    BeerMike,
    I was wondering if you have pictures of actually preparing spatchcocked chicken. I was wondering if you cut the backbone out of the chicken is the chicken cut in half completely into two separate pieces? If not what is holding the chicken together? [p]Regards, Pharmeggist[p]

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Follow the link below. You'll see the whole process on the Naked Whiz site. You don't cut through the breast bone so that remains intact. You do two cuts. One on either side of the backbone to remove it. Then you just press it flat.[p]Cheers,[p]John
    [ul][li]Spatchcock Chicken[/ul]
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Jeff,
    I am a beer can chicken fan. I normally do 4 at a time about 350 direct for about 1 1/2 hrs. They are ready when you can pick up the wing and it pulls free from the body. I also find the 2 in the back generally finish about 5 minutes ahead of the 2 in front. I do not use a drip pan, just set them on the can and let her rip. Always very moist and very flavorful. Popsicle.

Willis Tx.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Newbs,
    Thanks for the reply and the link. The pictures make it crystal clear! [p]Thanks again, Pharmeggist

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    BeerMike,
    thanks for the tip they turned out great!!! I am definitely adding spatchcocked chicken to my arsenal. Thanks again it was awesome.

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Happy to help.[p]John
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Jeff, I'm glad you ejoyed the chicken. If you're ever in WI, look me up and we'll Q and drink beer![p]BeerMike
    Beer is a food group.

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin