Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

English Roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey - Have an "English" style pot roast I was thinking of throwing on the Egg with a little red oak & doing a a basic no frills low & slow cook. Any suggestions? Was thinking 6-8 hrs; maybe foil wrap halfway into it. Imagine I'd wanna shoot for same temp as brisket. Beer/Rub marinade sounds nice. Whaddya think??? ERIC

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    e.b., I think you have a plan..I also foil wrap and finish my pot roasts. I like to add a few veggies at the same time. Carrots, taters, celery, slice onion or small onions. I am working on a new wrinkle on this one. Later perhaps.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, Marinated 3.5 lb English roast overnite in beer, corn oil, & cider vinigar with 2 TB Wild Willy's rub. Put in 220* Egg indirect over marinade filled drip pan with 3 chunx red oak for smoke at noon. Wrapped in foil at 4pm with 1/4 cup marinade; took it off at 6pm & let rest a while. Never did check temp but results were great - good flavor & a spicey wine red liquor for beef "au Tex-Mex jus". No muss-no fuss, and low stress. You may recognize the recipe as a variation of "Dallas Dandy Brisket" from Smoke & Spice. Will perhaps try a more traditional old world spice combo next time, with vintage white oak for smoke. May wrap the roast a little sooner; this one was just a tad dry, but on the other hand it was actually quite lean. Will see. That's it - nothin special - just a good simple meal...ERIC

• Char-Woody
    Options
    E.B., that one made me go dig out my S&Spice. Page 108. By golly, you did that one up nice. Enlighten me a bit on the "English Roast" cut of meat. Sounds like a good time to try that one.
    C~W
    BTW..thanks for the details..others may enjoy it also.[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]mmmmm, mire poix....[p]Most classic techniques work well on Mr BGE. Simple pot roast with the right combo of cooking veggies is one of them. Good job![p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed, your right, and it's a easy do cook. I really dig those veggies from the roast. And its a change up from the conventional Q' cooks. Thanks to E.B. for pointing up a nice cook. Makin me hungry thinkin about it.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    Good Houskeeping Illustrated Cookbook defines English Roast as "Beef chuck shoulder pot roast boneless; also known as shoulder roast; suitable for pot roasts & other braised dishes". They're usually fairly thick, & show less marbling & seem to be less fatty in general than some of the other chuck/pot roast options. Works great in a Dutch oven. Had a vision last nite about the Egg/Smoke/Foilwrap method using mushrooms & wine - more later...ERIC ps - I'm a railroader too - Engineer and/or conductor for Norfolk Southern in central PA. Bumped at the moment - how else would I have time for low & slow cooking?

• Char-Woody
    Options
    E.B., good show. I gotta mention, that anyone who has ridden in one of those hunks of iron that roll down 4 foot or so wide tiny rails underneath, has got to appreciate nerves of steel.
    Good cookin to ya..
    C~W

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    ro_rhodes,[p]I think you may need a diamond bit chain saw, a crock pot, and check to see if your dental insurance is up to date...[p]Z