Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP with Smoked Chicken Wings

Options
Theo
Theo Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to make smoked Chicken Wings (like at Famous Dave's which are yummy). I'm cooking indirect at 275 for 2 hours and then direct at 275 for another hour. They came out nice & cooked the 1st time I made them - but the past few haven't been good (redish veins down on the bone - had to tug on the meat to pull it off).[p]Unfortunately, I don't have a good thermometer to see if they were at 170.[p]Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations (cooking longer?) or recipes for smoked wings ???? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    theo, Cookum with Ken Stone's Red Rooster on one side and Mary's Cherry on the other side after you flip them when you see the bubbles start to form in the skin. When you see bubbles on the side without the skin(start skin side down) they are good to go.

• theo,
    go down the page slider about an inch or so and look at thirdeye's post and link under wings.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Off the top of my head, that sounds like a long time to cook wings. I generally cook with direct heat at about 350 for just under 1 hour. I flip em about 2/3rds of the way through.[p]On a side note, when I first cooked whole chickens, I was going slow & low which works on many bigger cuts of meat. Although my meat thermometer would register 180 at the thigh, I would often get red veins and reddish juices at the bone. I'm starting to become convinced that chicken does better at slightly higher temperatures with a direct heat.