Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Sugar maple for smoking

uncbbquncbbq Posts: 165
edited 5:38AM in EggHead Forum
Baby backs for OOT family company tonight. I have recently acquired some sugar maple pieces. Anyone with experience out there with this wood? I have some hickory, but I thought it might be interesting to try the maple. Or would I be better served to try it on myself first?
Thanks

Comments

• uncbbq,[p]I use sugar maple chips often. It give's a nice sweet smoky flavor and a nice color. I have used it on ribs, chiken, salmon and burgers. When I use chips I only use a large handfull. Good luck and keep smokin, Dana
  • uncbbq,
    Sugar Maple is my favorite wood for chicken and pork. We like the subtle flavor it imparts. Just go easy with it.

• EdFEdF Posts: 121
    I've got an old silver maple out back that's needed some trimming attention the last year or so. Chunks work very well for smoking. Nice, subtle flavor.
  • uncbbq,
    As the other two have said, good flavor but go easy with it. It can be overpowering.[p]Mike