Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt (picnic) is on....

Options
GHEgger
GHEgger Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm on kid duty all day, so I thought I'd try a low and slow. Put a 6.5lb picnic on the egg at 260 at 7:45 this morning. Mustard and Dizzy Dust last night, apple chips mixed throughout the lump. Going to be a long wait, but I'm not going to rush it.

Thanks to all for posting tips and techniques and for answering all us Newbies' questions. I'll be taking pics, so I'll try to post some later.

Comments

• GHEgger
    Options
    The picnic after spending the night rubbed in the refer:

10-01-06009.jpg

The egg loaded and ready:

10-01-06008.jpg

After 1 hour...

10-01-06015.jpg

So far so good...
  • GHEgger
    Options
    After four hours, the egg still steady at 260:

4hours.jpg

Temp after 4 hours:

4hourtemp.jpg
  • GHEgger
    Options
    A little over halfway, I think? Seems to have reached the plateau around 172.

7hours.jpg

7hourstemp.jpg

Noticed the dome temp had dropped below 250, so taking more advice from this forum, I fashioned a "stoker" from a metal coat hanger and stirred the coals. Seems to have worked, and I got the dome temp back up to about 260.

This is fun, but MAN! I guess patience is a virtue..... ;)
  • GHEgger
    Options
    Pics at 10 hours:

10hours.jpg

10hourstemp.jpg

Pulled the butt when it hit 192, as the kids were demanding attention. Foiled, wrapped in towels and into the cooler for 2 hours.

I'll post another topic with the finished product. Thanks for looking.