Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inna Small BGE Ribs update...full disclosure!

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everything was according to plan with some minor details that I left out. My ribs were frozen solid, taken right out of the freeze, with the ribs prepared before freezing and seasoned with membrane removed. As I said, these were frozen solid. The only thing I did was to defrost them to the point where they would separate from each other. Then directly on the grill as mentioned below.
Here is what happened..The ribs are in the very top of the dome. These rib's were beautiful and they were pull apart ready to eat right out of the Small BGE as they were. Absolutely excellent. This was in 3 hours...yes...repeat...3 hours flat. With temperatures in the 225 "STACK" measurements. I have however sauced them and re-entered them into the Small BGE for a finished sauce BBQ rib. My wiffy adores em this way..I take em either way.[p]This is a new adventure for C~W....take it for what it can benefit your in your cook. modify..change..play with it, and good luck.
Cheers...Char-Woody.
____________________________See original text below_____________[p][p]
A simple set up (kiss method)[p]2 racks of loin back ribs. (frozen or fresh)
3 firebricks
1 extra grill, small size diameter, cheap welded rod with no finish.
Aluminum foil (HD regular size)
1 Polder thermometer...(grab this one fella's)
Smokin chunk..your choice. This time its cherry for me. I love to toss and mess. Maybe next time its Lilac..no, not for pork IMO. Pecan from Bill Wise??[p]Set up![p]Start your "core" fire till you get red hot coals in the center of your grate. Start with a minimal amount of charcoal. Fine to stir and start your leftovers. Once your fire is "core red hot" adequate, add your smoking chunk(s). I put a few hunks of charcoal over the hot spot and put my chunk(s) right on top..and a few smaller around the edges. One is sufficient. Add more charcoal on top, how much is up to you and the term of the cook. This is a small cook.[p]replace the grill with the cheap one, not your porcelain.
Set a firebrick 1.25" thick X 4.5" wide X 9" long in the center of the first grill.
Set two firebricks on edge directly against the flat one.
Fold and make a drip pan out of the aluminum foil by folding the edges inward and then molding the lip. Make this to fit over the flat firebrick. You can double the foil if you like and then fold it. Makes a great versatile impromptu drip pan. Mold it to fit the occassion.
Place the second grill over your completed setup above and then place your ribs large butt end upwards and small bone end down and lean them together with the small tip bones setting between the grill rack rods. This will support your ribs in a vertical position without a conventional rib rack. To make em sturdy, insert bamboo spikes thru both where convenient.
Your going to be very close to the top..to spread the two racks as needed to use the room in the dome.
Remove the dome thermometer..its of no use here.
Use your daisy or small slider if you have one and insert your polder thermometer sensor tip just a inch or so inside the daisy or (?) and close it up on the stem of the thermometer. This is adequate for a low and slow cook..regulate temps with your bottom vent opening.[p]The beauty of the Polder in action here is you get instantaneous readings as the temperature varies in the exhaust stack. Discount 20 degrees for standard grill level temperature and your close enough for any cook. Plus or minus 5 to 10 degrees will not affect the outcome of the cook. To any discernable level that is.[p]If you don't have a Polder, use your regular dome thermometer as I described above. It will work, but not as well. Avoid touching the meat with the tip.[p]My start "stack" temp was 150F degrees, even with the red hot "core" start.
I will slow cook these for 4 hours, to get my nice mahogany bark. Then I will remove them quickly to foil, add my BBQ sauces to the ribs both sides, and double wrap them, and replace them on the grill flat with bone side down, meaty side up..Thats in the rainbow position. Inverted U shape of the bone.
One more hour and its time to eat. If this fails...sue me! Heeeyaaa.
Last reading..stack temp was 229F one hour into the cook.
Cheers..toss or enjoy..!!
C~W
BTW.. if your not using a sauce..then start checking your ribs for the indirect non foil cook at the 4 hour period..and again in 4.5 hours and up to the time your ribs break evenly apart with little effort. Also great eating. With this method, I like to sample as I go.[p]