Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8lb. Prime Rib suggestions?

Options
blrmkr
blrmkr Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to do a 8lb. Prime Rib for dinner tonight. My first attempt was only OK. I want to make em beg for more. Thanks

Comments

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    blrmkr,
    I powder my prime rib with a little salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cracked pepper. I've got a cast iron skillet and I take it outside on the sideburner to the now unused bbq grill and get it very hot. I let it sit on the fire awhile to really get up to temp. I take that prepared prime rib and sear it on all sides. I then put it on a rack in a drip pan full of beer. I roast it at 350 dome temp. I pull the roast at 137 internal for medium rare and 140 for medium. Let it rest ten to fifteen minutes. It will be the best prime rib you've EVER had! For variety, you can stab the roast and insert garlic slices in the slits. I haven't tried the salt encrustation thing because this way is so DOGGONE PERFECT!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    blrmkr, guess Dr Chicken must be too humble to holler back, but IMO if you want to knock their socks off with that prime rib try Dr Chicken's recipe. The only thing I do differently is I use coarse kosker salt indtead of the ice cream rock salt and I add one egg white to the paste. If you're comcerned about taste from the salt, don't be. It merely make a hard crust that seals in the juices and then when done you break it off and pitch it. Try it you'll love it!
    our yeah here's the site:
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/beef0141.htm

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.