Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New felt again!

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought my egg last June. The felt is coming off again. It seems to happen after a few high temp steaks. Also, it is in the same place everytime. Going to replace this weekend after steaks, jerky, and ribs. Any suggestions on what to do so I don't have to do this every 4 months? [p]CWM

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    After removing the old gasket clean the rim completely wi any degreaser then wipe down with acetone. This will get all the glue and grease off the rim and allow for a better contact betwen the new gasket and the EGG.

• Spike
    Spike Posts: 37
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I had the problem of the felt burning up at high temps. Where I bought my Egg the dealer also sells pellet stoves & wood burning stoves. He suggested that I get, I believe it was 5/8" wide braided stove gasket. After taking the old gasket off & cleaning I applied a bead of stove gasket sealer & the braided stove gasket and I haven't had a problem since. Did that almost a year ago.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, take a look at this site if you want to do something different.

[ul][li]Hi Temp Gaskets[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    or this one.

[ul][li]Rutland Gaskets[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike,
    I have had my egg for 1 week. Last night I grilled steaks, and the felt started coming off on the front right side of the handle!! This is after only 3 uses! 2 times high temp steaks and this past weekend fabulous ribs!! I'm calling them tomorrow and since I live in Atlanta I can go by. I love my BGE though!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Wise One, this last Saturday I purchased the Rutland 5/8" width 84" length with cement package from Menards for $5.69 My local BGE dealer sells it off the spool for $.50 per foot so between the two retailers it is a toss up. Common sense says that the same felt used for collars behind a good suit coat isn't going to stand up to the same rigorous use and heat that a strip of fiberglass will provide.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    If it is always happening in the same place, I would suspect a leak in that area. However, the fiberglass stove gasket is still a much better gasket than the felt. I put the stove gasket on my egg about 6 months ago and it is holding up very well. It has turned from light grey to black but is not burning away like the felt. If you were to compare the two side by side, it would be obvious which would last longer. Hold a match under both gaskets and see which one burns. It is also much less likely to freeze the dome shut in very cold weather because of the slippery nature of graphite and the braiding of the gasket. Kamado has been using the fiberglass gasket for years.Billy