Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Riblets

Options
Smokey Dad
Smokey Dad Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cooked these on BGE? I've tried them before and cooked by the 3-1-1 method but they didn't come out the greatest. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cook? Time, temps, indirect or direct, foil or no foil, etc.?[p]What exactly are pork riblets? Are these the portion of spareribs trimmed to make St. Louis style ribs?
Should these be cooked similar to country-style ribs?[p]porkriblets.jpg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,967
    Options
    riblets002.jpg
    <p />Smokey Dad,
    i consider these to be riblets, cut off the bones from the country rib. those look more like rib trimmings, i cook those like regular ribs, but eat them cold after the grease sets itself back up

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,967
    Options
    Smokey Dad,
    ive also got something in my freezer labeled pork brisket that looks very similar to those, dont know what they really meant by that

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smokey Dad,
    don't forget, you are affecting the way they cook by buying them cut up.[p]3-1-1 would probably overcook them. [p]the heat would be attacking them from all sides.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey Dad
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Based on a Google search for riblets, I did find that rib tips and rib brisket are the same product. I guess rib tips, riblets, and rib brisket can be considered the same product?[p]A search on BGE for riblets showed some with much larger bones so I figured those weren't the same cut.

• Smokey Dad
    Options
    stike,
    That was my guess, they were overcooked - somewhat tough. Maybe I'll try more like 2-1-1.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smokey Dad,
    might even be 1-.5-.5

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    fingertip.jpg
    <p />Smokey Dad,
    I get those on a regular basis. I like to cut them between the bones after cookin'. The perfect finger food for football season.

• Smokey Dad, What you have there appears to me to be single sliced ribs off the ends of spare ribs as well as some spare ribs tips containing cartilage. Looks to me like someone took a meat saw to a slab of spare ribs and just cut down the bones instead of across. That style of cut is more common for beef and lamb ribs. At least it is in my area. [p]The traditional pork riblet is cut across the slab of either the spare or back rib to where you have several connected rib bones anywhere from one-half to two inches long. [p]A newer style of riblets, like the ones featured at Applebee's, are cut from the spine of the hog. These bones are the last four to six featherbones on the spine. These featherbones are sometimes referred to as button ribs and are not a true rib.[p]Now if I were to cook what you have on hand, I would marinate them for six hours and use a little rub before putting them on the grill. I would cook no higher than 250ºF indirect. After two and one-half hours they might be done so try one. Sauce them and throw in an aluminum pan and cover with foil. Cook them some more until they are done to your desire degree of tenderness. [p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • por10.gif
    <p />Smokey Dad, The brisket bone of the pork carcass can be found on the lower right side of the diagram. It is the bone connecting the ribs numbered one through six. [p]The brisket bone is sometimes incorrectly referred to as the chine bone. The chine bone is the result of splitting the carcass down the spine. Another misconception is that the pork brisket is the skirt meat or flap of meat found on the bone side of ribs. [p]I will follow this post up with another that shows what the brisket bone actually looks like. For more information on ribs check out the site linked below. Usually I would send you to www.Ribman.com, but their site is down right now. The information linked below has been cut and pasted directly from the Ribman's site.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
    [ul][li]Rib Information[/ul]
  • 3840.gif
    <p />Yo Smokey Dad, Here is the brisket bone from a hog. The upper part is the actual bone itself and the lower piece is the cartilage area. These are considered part of what are referred to as rib tips. Rib tips also include the cartilage areas of the spare ribs that are trimmed off during the process of cutting St. Louis style spares. [p]As you may have gathered by now, riblets and rib tips are two different cuts.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy