Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ooops. Frozen ribs. Help.

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure what happened yesterday, but the spare ribs I bought to throw on today ended up in the freezer. Went to pull em out of the fridge this morning to slather with mustard, and my new rib rub......no ribs in the firdge. Dang!! Did I leave em on the counter??? Nope. Where the hell are they. Found them in the freezer in a deep freeze. [p]Any idea how long these suckers will take to thaw? Was hoping to start cooking at noon so that they will be ready just before kickoff. Do I need to go buy some more ribs and stick these back in the freezer?? It is one slab cut in half, and stacked in a styrofoam shrinkwrapped tray.[p]Thanks for any direction for this lost soul.
Happy Bowl Day.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,
    Fill the sink with water and put the whole package in. Every hour or so drain the water and refill with room temperature water.[p]I bet you can get them thawed by Noon[p]Good Luck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Irish Smoker,
    had to stick em in a ziplock, cuz there was a hole in the shrinkwrap, but they are in the bath now. Thanks for your timely advice. Now what can you do to help the bonehead who put them in the freezer make sure he never does that again???[p]Melt in your mouth ribs, football and beer. Whoahhhhhhh nelly!
    Terps almost beat duke last night. Up by 11 points with 70 seconds left, and Duke tied, then beat us in overtime. Can you say CHOKE??[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Irish Smoker,
    You da man. It is about 10 til 12, and said ribs are out of their thaw bath, rubbed with mustard and my latest rib rub concoction, and into their cherry smoke bath. Smells awfully nice. Thanks much for the tip.
    cheers
    NB

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, I also do the bath treatment but I use cold water right out of the tap, cold side and fill the sink side till they float. You can, with no ill affects, pre nuke em just a tad to kick start the heat from the interior. It will not affect the meat at all.
    Here is another tip from experience. If your meat (ribs, roasts)is just partially thawed on the exterior, where you can apply the rubs and bases, you don't need to worry about thawing any further.
    This is for a long term cook. You can put partially frozen ribs on the rack and cook em in approximately the same time period as thawed ribs.
    Here is what led me up to that conclusion. What better agent than the BGE do you have to thaw and cook at the same time in the same process as laying them out on the counter or in the sink to thaw...![p]Its mental gymnastics. [p]Cheers..!
    C~W[p]

• NB,
    Glad it worked out. Enjoy the game. I'm still down that the Titans aren't in it.[p]Take Care.