Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4lb brisket flat, how long?

Options
SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Friday,
I couldn't pass up a 4lb Choice grade packer brisket this afternoon. My question is, "How long will it take?". I have cooked whole, 10-15lb brisket at 225F grate in 11-13hr time frame with pretty decent success but never cooked just the flat and don't know how to judge it. 1.5-2hr/lb? 250F dome and ~225 grate is my normal lo and slo setup. I'm in no hurry for it to be done, so an all-nighter wouldn't kill me if necessary.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]Cheers![p]Scott

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    brisket3.jpg
    <p />SouthOfI10,
    I bet that sucker is pretty lean. All-nighter, no way. Try a short afternoon. I have never cooked one that small but I would stay at 225 the best you can. Use a drip pan with water/apple juice. If really lean and no fat cap, consider wrapping in bacon.
    811brk2.jpg
    That was a whole trimmed but no fat cap at all. Might even consider wrapping in foil at some point.
    My best guesstimate.
    HTH
    Mike

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Thanks for the help! I'll start around noon tomorrow and see how it works out. Lots of time for cool beverages. Your pics look great! I too have a lb of bacon to go on top of the lean side. The fat cap is thin on this one but not missing completely.
    DSC00217.jpg
    I like to mix a little Dale's seasoning with beef broth for an injection marinate. Any other tips you could offer?[p]Thanks again.[p]Scott