Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg and I

Options
Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading this and the other web sites for the BGE the last week of so.I am interested in getting an Egg nut can't decide on the size..I think a medium is what I need but the large does not seem to cost much more.What I guess I need to know is what are the benifits of one size over the other..I don't think I can swing 2 BGE's past the wife.She does have to have some room in the back yard for the dog.
I would be greatfull for any info..[p]Thanks Sparky

Comments

• Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    Pardon the spelling I was rushed..

• Sparky,
    It depends on how large of items you intend to cook. Is it just you and your wife? You your wife and 4 kids?? Do you do a lot of entertaining?? If it's just you and your wife, perhaps you could get by with a med. If you entertain a lot and like to cook for people, then get the biggest one. You can always think of additional things to put in. Corn on the cob, clams, oysters on the half shell, steamed crab, turkey, chicken, stir fry, leg of lamb, rack of ribs, the egg even brings life to the plain old hamburger. [p]One thing is, if you get one to small you'll always yearn for a bigger one. (no pun intended) get the big one!!!!

• DUTCHTRT, Good answer! No way to improve on it..:-)
    C~W

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Sparky,
    I went for the large and haven't regretted it yet. On a daily basis ther's just my wife and I and when the family gets together there are a dozen or so. I happen to have been given a MIni for my birthday and we use that from time to time but it's always a toss up.
    Doing a cook on a 20lb. turkey in the med. could pose a problem and long slow cook can be done but not with the ease the large will afford you.
    Good luck and eggjoy yourself.[p]Carey

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    The question of choosing between two sizes of eggs frequently comes up, and the consensus seems to be that, when choosing between two sizes of eggs, you should choose the larger of the two, especially when it is the only egg you will own.
    Good luck.

• Uncle Dave
    Options
    Sparky,
    You won't be sorry for going to the large. I spent 2 months trying to decide. Just get the large and be done with it. If I have my roast rack with drip pan,Prime rib on 4 large Baked spuds just barely if around the edge. I am so happy I got the large. Good luck