Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt sticking to grid

Options
uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked an 8 1/2 pounder last night. It turned out great after 15 1/2 hours, but it fell apart when trying to remove it this morning, with lots sticking to the grid--actually pulled the bottom off over 1/3 of the butt. Any tricks to keep that at a more manageable level? I know you have to tear it up to pull it, but I had to wrap/cooler the meat, and falling all apart was not helpful. Still it was a big hit at the office lunch today.
Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    uncbbq,
    sometimes i wrap the top of the butt with a big piece of foil, and with a spatula, slide it under the butt and roll it into the foil. what sticks to the grill i pick of and eat right then

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WestCoastBarbeque
    Options
    uncbbq, Whatever sticks to the grill are tasty tester bites for you !!! The more the better I say... That's no problem !
    Peace...

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    uncbbq,
    Invert the grid/butt onto a large sheet of foil. Use a knife to pry butt away from the grid wires. Takes about a minute, but you shouldn't have much loss. Then, wrap and rest.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    All who commented,
    Thanks, good ideas all. I appreciated the snack, but I had about a pound of meat on the grid, and that was excessive, even for me. I'll give these ideas a try.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    uncbbq, I use my metal pizza peel and kinda work it up under it like a large spatula. Then I plop it into a waiting pan to carry it inside.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    uncbbq,
    I guess I go a bit outside the curve.....when I have one butt I actully let it sit and cook in a v-rack. Once the butt is done, I just pick up the rack, take it inside, and flip it onto some foil. If any sticks at that point I just use a small knife to scrape it off the v-rack.[p]If I am doing 2-3 butts, with one on an elevated grid and no room for a v-rack, I just get out the spatula that I use for hamburgers and pry them up.[p]Hope this helps![p]- Mike