Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza sauce preparation and storage

Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made pizza the last couple of times that my children have been home from school following Spin's three part pizza instructions with great success. Thanks Spin, for adding this for all of us. I would like to prepare the sauce when I can either raise or buy the tomatoes when they are vine ripened and either freeze or can the sauce. If any of you have instructions on how to prepare the sauce in some quanity for future use, I would certainly appreciate instructions.[p][p]
[p][p][p]

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Sippi,[p]I usually put up 3-4 bushels each summer when the tomatoes are plentiful. This takes care of tomato sauces for the year. Since prepping the raw tomatoes and then making the sauce(s) is a lot of work, I prep and hot pack can (Ball blue book method) the raw tomato pulp in 1/2 gallon jars. I can then make any sauce I want when I have more time, and as the need arises. Prepared sauce is canned in pint jars. One pint of pizza sauce will make 2 12" pizzas.[p]Canning allows storage of the pizza sauce for up to 2 years. Feel free to email me.[p]Spin[p]Spin[p]

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Spin,
    Thanks. I'll email you with my numerous questions.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sippi,
    I know Spin has already answered you, but permit me to tell my approach. Roma tomatoes are available year around at most large grocery chains as is fresh basil. I find that I can do a triple batch of Spin's wonderful sauce in a dutch oven using 16 romas and 1 package (.67oz) of fresh basil. When all said and done the yield is 11 packages of 1/2 cup of sauce that I place into individual ziplock snack bags...those are for cookies and are one half the size of a sandwich bag. Though not made for freezing they still freeze fine and then I store them in freezer bags. Good luck!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]Sounds like a wonderfull method. The pizza sauce also makes a great meatball sandwich (with a thin slice or two of provolone cheese).[p]Spin

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Sippi,
    I did my first BGE pizza, using Spin's sauce recipe. I made enough for two, and three nights ago, baked my second pizza on the Egg, using Spin's sauce on a whole wheat crust version---I had frozen it and I'm sure would keep for months at least, just fine. Very tasty eh, and makes it rich and "zesty"
    Big Murth